Saturday, February 26, 2011

APA, MLA, OMG, WTH.

APA, MLA, oh my goodness. what the heck.

Today in class we had a presentation with the writing center, and class over all just blew my mind.  Works Cited - now called "References" - is something I have always struggled with.  I completely understand the reasoning for having a "references" page, because I for sure would not want to be accused of anything along the lines of plagiarizing, however I am completely confused as to why it is done like it is.  Why can we not simply list the website, or book/magazine/newspaper we found it from? Why must we list the organization it is from, the author, the year, etc.  If we supply the general information, why is it not something that if really interested, the author can look it up?
That pretty much sums up my rant for class.

Class was really informational today though.  I did learn everything that was needed in general with regards to citing in APA format.  It was a huge relief when they told us there were so many rules, there was no way we could memorize them - as I am a horrible memorizer to begin with.

Off to finish up my project two and prepare to turn it in - so excited!

-miner moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment