Saturday, February 12, 2011

Practice makes Perfect?

Although I believe this statement, I feel that this is not always true.  Sure I practiced my part of the groups presentation, our group met and went over the presentation, and overall, it was going to run nothing less then smooth.  Maybe we should have put 20 people our age that I did not know at all though.  It's a lot different from high school was the main thing I learned on Wednesday.  Peers or not, in high school I still knew everyone and was comfortable because it was normal.  These were the people I saw everyday in the halls so getting up and talking in front of them was not a big deal.  At the end of the day, they'd still be in the hall so it wasn't something I put much time into being nervous for.  College is a lot larger and that was very clear when I stood in front of the people thinking to my self; "I have no idea who anyone is.  No one knows me, and I therefore have no idea how to relate to this audience like I used to." 
I learned a valuable lesson this Wednesday.  Although my project was not up to par, I realized high school was done.  No longer will I be presenting to people I am comfortable in front of, no longer will I present to people I know anything about.  Practicing did not make perfect for me this week but taught me what I did not know.  Although this grade will most likely less than what I hoped, I hope that with this lesson I can bring that grade up in the future and be able to prepare for speeches a lot better

-miner moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment